Here is an easy recipe for next New Years. I might have to test it a few times beforehand because I really love these.
LA GALETTE DES ROIS
- 2 circles of puff pastry (pâte feuilletée), refrigerated
- 1/4 cup almond paste
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs (1 is for the pastry's egg wash)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 bean or small porcelain figurine (fèves), optional
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Combine the almond paste and about half of the sugar, and mix until well blended. Add the butter and remaining sugar using and mix until smooth. Blend in 1 egg, vanilla extract, almond extract, flour and salt. Perhaps add a tablespoon of rum. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Butter a baking sheet or line with parchment paper. Place a circle of pastry onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Mound the almond filling onto the center of the pastry that is on the baking sheet, leaving about 1 1/2 inch margin at the edges. Press the optional bean or fève down into the filling.
- Place the second sheet of pastry on top, and press down the edges to seal. Beat the remaining egg with a fork, and lightly brush onto the top of the galette. Use a knife to make a crisscross pattern in the egg wash (or a spoon to make crescent pattern). Prick several small slits in the top to vent steam while baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Do not open the oven until the time is up, as the pastry will not fully puff. Remove from the oven and dust with confectioners' sugar. Return to the oven, and cook for an additional 12 to 15 minutes, or until the top is a deep golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve at room temperature.
Bonne année & Bon appétit