Saturday, May 22, 2010

Mast project makes progress

Friday was a very nice day and we took full advantage of it.  We worked from 10am to 5:30pm.  This is hard work, especially since the mast is out in the open with no shade.

Bob planed the mast a bit more and then made wooden handles for sandpaper for a belt sander to manually sand the mast.  I'm impressed as this was coarse paper and really took a lot of effort.  Three or four passes of a 37-ish foot mast is quite a distance!

Most of this was done while I went to feed the cats, check email, and get some take-out lunch for us.

Then, using an air compressor, we blew out the grooves.

Afterwards, we filled in at least 1/3 of the grooves with a thickened epoxy mixture. My camera was wanting new batteries, so no pictures.  I'll take a couple of pictures of the same thing today though... lots of opportnities to do so, except to find the time.  I can't quite keep up with making the filling compound to Bob's application of it... So It Goes...