Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fresh Contact Lenses

First of all, I'd like to say "happy belated first day of summer" to everyone... Did you also celebrate the wonderful "FĂȘte de la Musique"? Feel free to extend it throughout the weekend... or longer! Happy Alan Turing's birthday (he would have been 100).

Today I put on new contact lenses. My old ones finally looked past their sell-by date :) I have been wearing them for 9 weeks instead of the recommended 3 weeks... Not bad.

I use to wear Ciba Toric (monthly) lenses and I would usually get 3 months from them. They were great, except that Ciba has discontinued them and I can no longer find any in my prescription.

I now have Ciba Air Optix for Astigmatism contact lenses which the local optometrist recommended using for only 3 weeks per pair. I was at the end of my 6-pack and I didn't want to open up a new peroxide storage system until I received my new lenses so I soaked them in sterile saline solution overnight. This seemed to "plump" them up. They were comfortable to wear again. I did this for 7-10 nights and then went back to the hydrogen peroxide regimen with them. My new lenses arrived but my old ones were still going strong so I didn't change them... Yes, Ms Cheapseats!

I really prefer the hydrogen peroxide storage system to the "one step" type. It gets them squeaky clean... no champignons on my lenses anymore!

I guess I should state (before getting reprimanding emails) that if my lenses are torn or giving my eyes a problem, I will toss them and let my eyes rest up for a couple of days before starting with new ones.

Oh my gosh!  I just saw a news headline that says the average weight of an adult human is 137 pounds.  Well, at least I'm above average in something :)

Here's a link to the article: The Telegraph: The world's fattest countries: how do you compare?

So it goes...