Sunday, January 27, 2013

What hosting service? DreamHost

Many people ask what hosting service do we use for our websites... DreamHost.

We have been with them for five years and we are very happy with their service. They offer much more than just basic hosting but, unfortunately, I haven't had the time to experiment with such things as Ruby on Rails, using MySQL, exploring ecommerce, etc.

Last year I had problems uploading my files via FTP but that turned out to be caused by our super-slow ISP (BroadbandVI). Since we have changed over to ChoiceWireless, our uploads just zip up to the server with nary a problem.

As I said, we have been with DreamHost for five years. I wish I had switched earlier from our problematic hosting service. I stayed with them for at least two years longer than I should have because I thought it would be a big hassle to port our websites from our BooHiss host to DreamHost.

Fear not! It was a very easy and seamless process. They have a comprehensive "wiki" documentation site that answers most questions but if you still need help, drop Support a line and they will get back to you quickly.

And, continuing on the Burns' Night weekend theme, DreamHost's prices appeals to my Scottish roots. They are a very reasonable price at $8.95/mo for 2 years or $9.95/mo for 1 year, and domain registrations are only $9.95/year.

So it goes!