Tuesday, August 25, 2009

THE BEATLES 09 09 09 BEATLEMANIA

Wow, I'm so EXCITED! September 9, 2009 is the date when the new digitally remastered Beatle albums will be released.

According to Amazon.com:
Within each CD's new packaging, booklets include detailed historical notes along with informative recording notes. For a limited period, each CD will also be embedded with a brief documentary film about the album. The newly produced mini-documentaries on the making of each album, directed by Bob Smeaton, are included as QuickTime files on each album. The documentaries contain archival footage, rare photographs and never-before-heard studio chat from The Beatles, offering a unique and very personal insight into the studio atmosphere.

I didn't know Amazon.com had a BEATLES STORE (duh!). There is so much cool stuff there! Such as The Beatles Trivial Pursuit Game where you get to prove how big of a Beatlemanic you really are :) Plus, of course, T-shirts, music, guitar gear, etc.

The Beatles came to Seattle, Washington in the summers of 1965 and 1966. My Mom liked the Beatles and when we asked her if she'd drive us up to Seattle (3-hour drive) for the 1966 concert (I was 11 years old) she said "next year"... of course, they didn't come next year. (I now realize that the logistics of this type of a trip would not have fit into my family's lifestyle routine). Friends of my sister went to the Portland Oregon concert and they actually saw the Beatles driving about! Lucky them :)

My first album was a birthday present, The Beatles Second Album. They originally gave me The Beatles' Story, but it was in stereo so we exchanged it as we had a mono record player.

While looking up the Seattle concert dates on the internet, I came across this website, HistoryLink.org The Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History. They have an interesting article Beatles play two concerts at Seattle Center Coliseum on August 25, 1966. They have an image of the special Seattle Post-Intelligencer Beatles supplement, which I special ordered TWO copies of... It was big bucks at the time... something like $2.50.

I was such a loyal Beatle fan. I didn't buy a non-Beatle album until after they split up... Well, I did buy the Monkees first album which has also been remastered. A while later, I felt so guilty that I traded the Monkees album for The Beatles US album "The Beatles VI". The Monkees was a good thing though, because I had a cheapo acoustic guitar that I was learning to play via "Educational TV" which had a weekly Folk Guitar lesson for newbies. But, I also bought a Monkees' instructional song book which had music and instructions for all four band members. Complete tabs and "proper" musical notation for Lead, Rhythm, Bass guitar, and Drums. I wish I could find something like that now.

We really like ex-Monkee Michael Nesmith and have several of his albums and DVDs. He has a great sense of humor, in addition to his more serious pieces. This is one of my favorites El Dorado to the Moon. After I finish writing this post, I'm going to ask Bob to look at the Amazon.com MP3 downloads for Michael Nesmith to add to our collection. Individual tracks are only $0.89 but we'll splurge and go for the whole albums which is how the songs are meant to be heard... as a collection.



The nifty Amazon Music Widget above, doesn't seem to be working like I'd like it to... Perhaps because of our slow internet connection? So, here's a link to access Michael Nesmith MP3 music from Amazon.

I wasn't totally ignorant of rock music as we had a local top-40 radio station in my little town, but you know I never listened to a Rolling Stones album until I was in my early 20s when a friend came over to my apartment and loaned me SOME GIRLS! He played bass guitar in a local band (The Ragg Band) that played locally and toured from Montana to Arizona. I hope he's doing well.

Bob is from Los Angeles and he had access to LOTS of great performers when he was growing up. He was in a band in high school and college that played various gigs around & about, plus was even opening acts for some of the biggies! Bob has taught and exposed me to much of the music that I missed out on. Merci beaucoup!

So, remember to check out the Amazon's BEATLES Store

Enjoy!